Sweet potatoes and beetroots are plentiful during summer and even into fall. They are great and versatile root vegetables. They go great with butter and sage. Yum!
To make an easy tart, I like making galettes. So I decided to combine sweet potatoes and beets with sage to make this yummy galette perfect for fall or summer. Great as a side or as a main dish.
Galettes are great because they are super easy and do not require a tart or pie pan. This galette is wonderful served warm but is also delicious cold. It makes for a great lunch.
For this recipe, I use store-bought pie crust because it’s easier. However, making your own pie crust is also simple and a great way to add a more homemade touch. Binging With Babish has a great basic pie crust recipe.
I love buying beetroots with the leaves. The leaves are great sauteed or added like spinach into soup or curry. I also like using golden beetroots because they have a lighter flavor than red beets. However, if that is what you have, I am sure it will also make a great galette.
For the adventurous chef:
I like using sage as it has a great roast flavor, but you feel free to use other herbs. Thyme and rosemary would also be great additions or substitutions.
Also, adding cheese is a great addition. I like to add some parmesan, gruyere, or an Italian cheese mix between the shallot and the root vegetables. Another cheese I like to use is to slice some goats cheese on top of the galette and add it at the last 5 minutes of the baking for it gently melt and caramelize.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 golden beet roots
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion
- ½ tsp of sage
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 pie crust 9”
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Some cheese (optional)
- Thinly slice the shallots or onion. Cook until lightly golden with 1 tbsp of butter, sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Then let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Peel the sweet potato and beet and thinly slice.
- Roll out the pie crust so that it is 2-3 mm thick. Then spread the cooled shallots in the middle leave 2 inches of pie crust around.
- Next place the sweet potato and beetroot slices overlapping on top of the shallots.
- Fold the pie crust over the center, overlapping. Then with the melted 1 tbsp of butter, brush the galette, crust and root vegetables. Then sprinkle the remaining sage and some salt and pepper for taste.
- Then bake for galette for 40 minutes or until the edges are golden and the sweet potatoes and beetroot slices are soft. Serve warm or cool.